Choice Enrollment Blog
It is important to choose your doctors wisely since they are the one who’s going to examine you from head to toe whenever necessary. Make sure that it could fit your needs as a patient. You should also be comfortable upon the doctor’s assessment.
Here are some lists of factors you may consider when choosing a doctor.
· Choosing a PCP – Selecting a Primary care physician is an important step toward managing your health care. Choosing the right PCP is the most important key to receiving good medical treatment, and trusting them is another thing since you will be building a doctor-patient relationship to achieve the best health care for you.
There are three PCP specialties:
1.) Family Medicine – treats patients of all ages
2.) Internal Medicine – treats adult patients
3.) Pediatrics – treats children from birth through adolescence
· Access to Area– Another patient’s concern is the location of the doctor’s clinic. It is important that the clinic is accessible to the patient for less hassle. It is your choice if you want a doctor whose clinic is near your office, or near your home for your convenience.
· Access Online– With our fast growing technology today, many things can be done online and this is very convenient to those who are working. With this, patients can schedule an appointment online or can view test/lab results anytime they want to.
· Gender – Being comfortable in front of a health care provider is important, especially the doctors, because they will be assessing you not only physically but also mentally and emotionally. You should trust them and you should be comfortable with them. Usually female patients choose female doctors. Again, it depends on the patient’s choice.
· Language Requirement – We are all aware that explaining medical procedures to patients or discussing medical status or situations is difficult when you have language barrier. So it is important to choose the doctor who also speaks the same language as the patient.
· Will the doctor accept my health insurance? – This is one of the first things that patients have in mind before choosing their PCP’s to avoid unnecessary out-of-pocket expenses. It is also important to contact your health plan customer service department for you to be aware on the specifics of your plan type and coverage.
· Choosing a Specialist – Choosing a specialist would require an authorization or referral from your Primary Care Physician when you have an HMO plan. Again, it is best to contact your health plan and verify if specialists are covered under your plan.
If you want to learn more about your health care plan coverage, we would be more than happy to discuss it with you. Just reach us at this number (719) 481-1616 or visit our office. We at Choice Enrollment have extensive experience and knowledge to best guide you to the right health insurance decision that fits your budget.